Pages

Wednesday

Public speaking... no thanks

Public speaking is not my thang.

Of course God knows this fact about me-- but every once in a while He decides to remind me how big He is and how little I am.

So a month or so ago I was asked to prepare a presentation for a monthly staff meeting, which happened to take place today.

Also about a month or so ago the youth leadership decided that we would split the guys and girls up for a several week study.  Along with that decision, we opted to rotate teaching responsibilities between some of the lady leaders for the girl time and rotate some of the guy leaders for the guy time.  Naturally my first week to teach was today.


Yes- I used all of these resources in my teaching tonight :)

September 5, 2012 has been a long, tiring day.  I have been fighting feelings of inadequacy and feelings of anxiety because surely more time could have been spent to prepare for these presentations.  I also spent the day fighting negative self-talk about my abilities to speak in front of groups of people-regardless of age. 

Of course the motivated, competitive side of me loves these opportunities to better myself.  I truly believe He put these opportunities in my life for a reason.  I hope and pray it isn't to speak in front of large groups of people on a regular basis.  But I do believe He is preparing me for the future He has planned for me. 

Guess what? God is so good!  He even managed to stop my negative thoughts in their tracks tonight!  I am so thankful for a God that challenges, and pushes me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get to work tomorrow and sign up for as many public speaking opportunities I can find.  But I do feel that I am one step closer to a bearable comfort level.  One step at a time! 

What have you done this week that was out of your comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment