Pages

Sunday

So long insecurities....


Confession:  I have been avoiding you.  I know… horrible right?  Let me explain…. I have been putting off a very important issue that my heart has really been dealing with lately…. I knew my next post HAD to be a ‘Real Ray’ moment… and 15 days later… (I’m a little stubborn…) here I am.  Transparent.

I struggle with insecurity.  There it is… I said it. 

What do I mean by ‘insecurity’?  Beth Moore expresses it so well in her book, So Long Insecurities

“Insecurity refers to a profound sense of self-doubt—a deep feeling of uncertainty about our basic worth and our place in the world.  Insecurity is associated with chronic self-consciousness, along with a chronic lake of confidence in ourselves and anxiety about our relationships.  The insecure man or woman lives in constant fear of rejection and a deep uncertainty about whether his or her own feelings and desires are legitimate.”

Beth goes on to suggest that not ALL of this definition has to be true to you in order to be insecure… so if there is even one ounce of truth that touches your core… whether you want to admit it or not… you MUST set your insecurities aside (or place a paper bag over your head) and GO GET THIS BOOK.  This book has seriously challenged me to the core…. I have been putting this post off partly because by putting this ‘out there’ I am promising to attempt to change… which is kind of scary- worth it… but scary.

“ Most of us have what I’ll call a prominent false positive: one thing that we think would make us more secure in all things.”

When I read this… a few ‘false positives’ immediately came to mind…
1.     Ideal weight
2.     Perfect clothes
3.     Perfect hair
4.     Ideal beauty

I absolutely love my Thursday night group of (6-8) girls because we are all VERY different and yet we have developed such a strong bond with one another.  Some of us have the same false positives… some of us don’t… but regardless I am more challenged after the night is over than I would be just reading the book by myself. This is why I think it is SO important to live life with one another… to experience these new revelations – big or small- with one another… to challenge each other… to be kept accountable by one another.  I know that if I miss a Thursday night… that I am missed… I know that someone will be checking up with me… whether it’s to be sure everything is ok… or to be sure I wasn’t ‘skipping out’ to avoid some un-wanted accountability…. I’ve been guilty of that.  BUT.. I’m so blessed to have a group like this… there is real transparency within this group… which is so beautiful. 

Chapter 9 REALLY impacted me- to my core.  This chapter prepares you for a time of silence and solitude with the Lord.  I usually don’t tend to like it when authors ask their reader to ‘do’ things during the book… but I decided to ACTUALLY participate and it truly blessed me.  Beth provides a prayer that in fact touched me.  Over and over I kept thinking, ‘Lord..  You had her share this prayer JUST for me… didn’t You?’ 

Well… I could go on and on about all the amazing things from this book…. BUT I’d rather just give you a taste and entice you to grab a copy at your local Borders and read it yourselves.  If you do… I would LOVE to hear your thoughts as you go through the book.  If you’ve already read the book… I’d love to hear about the parts that touched you the most!

Have a wonderful week, lovelies!

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl... we have so much in common. I'm so glad you were so open about your insecurities (definitely encouraged me!) I'm currently doing the Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed study by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur... it's AMAZING! You ladies should check it out next! It also reminds me a lot of Beth's book... which I agree, is so wonderfully eye opening.

    Love you Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so many good things about that book. I think I'll get it for a friend of mine who really struggles with self doubt.

    ReplyDelete